We're so glad you found your way here! We know how important self-care is to staying joyful so we are doing our very best to improve this page and if you subscribe to our Joy List, you'll receive notice when this page gets the renovation it deserves. Also, we'll be constantly adding to this list of self-care tips. If you have an idea, please let us know!
Imagine yourself in utopia, a perfect place. To you, utopia, might mean a clear blue sky, chirping birds, and a slight breeze. Or utopia could be the soft sand underneath your hammock that swings from light palm trees, the red sun setting in an ombre pink sky. Maybe utopia is a lush mattress, velvet covers, and scented candles, or a Western saddle on a Thoroughbred. Perhaps all you want is a box of chocolates and rock music playing. However you design it, there is a utopia out there for each of us. How do you reach it?
Puzzles of Utopia is just one tool that allows you to choose between two of the greatest self-care possibilities – solitude or relationship-building. There are other options that can greatly increase your feeling of calm and happiness in moments of stress. When you feel pulled worn, will you turn to the bottle, the pillow, the knife, and a downward spin, or will you rise to yourself by utilizing a self-care plan YOU’VE created to make life better?
It’s in your hands. Choose your life.
Activities that make you calm:
Use any combination to create a memorable or forgettable experience. It doesn’t matter what you actually do or let be done, what matters is how do you feel? Does your heart rate calm? Does your mind stop racing and start going in clear simple lines?
Remember, it’s the details that make a simple activity a self-care tool! Take an everyday routine and add something individual – something artsy, beautiful, natural, nurturing,
Browse through the list below and see what strikes well with you. Also feel free to check out this awesome list of 99 coping skills.
In the kitchen:
- Make a smoothie
- Eat ice cream
- Make a complicated sundae and eat it slowly
- Bake something intricate
- Bake something simple
- Cook a delicious and rich soup
- Cook/bake unhealthy
- Cook/bake healthy
- Make muddy buddies/ rice crispy treats
- Juice citrus fruits
- Make lemonade
- Make a milkshake and eat with a bought cookie warmed in the microwave
- Create a picnic basket tied with a bow, or a cookie jar with a bow and chocolate milk
- Learn a new skill – buy a magazine/guide or check out online (just google how to…)
- Paint – glass paint, acrylics, paint dishes
- Color by number
- Adult coloring books (hottest item on Amazon)
- Children coloring books
- Do an adult puzzle
- Do a children’s puzzle
- With others
- Crossword Puzzles
- Anagrams – alone (apps) or with others
- Read Dr. Seuss
- Read: Holocaust and other trauma triumphs, comedy, comic cartoons, self-help, quality fiction
- Watch: See our recommended section for details on how to maximize the benefits of movies and TV shows you watch
- Link: Bay, you haven’t mentioned Law and Order, NCIS, Criminal Minds – what’s the deal?
- I believe in making every moment one that will ripple on with good vibes. Watching fiction shows that display the negative in life may numb you for the moment but makes you feel – horrible, world is bad, hopeless etc. You don’t have to agree but these are my recommendations.
- I believe in family shows – give you hope and joy because the very concept of family makes us happy
- Take a bath
- Aromatherapy – bath bombs, scented candles, plug-ins
- Meditation – not just for Buddhist monks and hippies, Headspace
- Plan out your fulfillment of a dream even if you know it isn’t realistic at the moment. On the plus side, it might become more realistic when you plan it out more
- Plan out the details of a novel or how-to book or blog you want to write
- (Person who made a siyum in 5 minutes)
- Write down the pros and cons of a situation/decision
- Plan details of your dream wedding/honeymoon/lonetime/vacation
- Design your dream house/treehouse/landscaping in your head or on paper
- Create a new playlist (see our recommended section for awesome songs that make you feel understood and empowered)
- Painting your room
- Adding designs to walls – painting on, stickers, wall decals, curtains, bedspread, blanket, teddy bear
- Create something with your photos
- Order a project with your photos – mousepad, photo book, tee shirt, poster
- Collect unique seashells at the shore (they are all unique)
- Hang them on a string
- Spread them out on your desk/bookshelf
- Create jewelry
- Use them as part of 3D crafts
- Put them in a glass jar
- Tie dye a white tee shirt or socks
Nature is God’s natural cure for every ailment. While treatments for all physical illnesses have yet to be uncovered, there is no doubt that nature can instantly delete your negative emotions and change your ---.
- Take a walk in the park. Go jogging on a bike path. Walk on the boardwalk at sunrise or sunset. Visit a butterfly house or indoor gardens. Go birdwatching.
- Bring nature indoors. Paint your ceilings sky blue and choose a green carpet. Hang a poster of a beautiful natural scene (click for our options). Download a soundtrack of birds chirping.
- Being with people
- Visit an old age home.
- Make rounds in a hospital.
- Volunteer at a children’s daycare or orphanage.
- Visit a home for special/disabled children. (Example: Special Children’s Home, Sunshine)
- Be a counselor in a daycamp.
- Become a lifeguard and work at your local community pool or open your personal pool for the neighborhood children.
- Learn a watersport.
- Teach something you know – basic dance in any style, open a book club for the neighborhood kids, karate or other self-defense.
- Being with animals
- Every farm needs extra hands and farms abound just about all over America. You can find horse farms and many equestrian-related ----, animal farms with goats, chickens, and pigs, dairy farms, egg farms, vegetable farms, fruit orchards – there are so many options for being together with animals and plants. Intern at an animal hospital or pet rescue center. Assist a vet.
- Graphic design
- Water-related activities
- Design a dress
- Browse shops you like
- Play games
- Laser tag
- Ice skating
- Other winter sports
- Water sports
- Go to a thrift shop
- Go to the dollar store
- Wood working
- Get a tattoo
- Get a henna
- Do your hair
- Hang up a swing in your bedroom or outside
- Order online something outrageously weird and not for your lifestyle (from a different culture)
- Rubik's cube
- Gardening inside and out
See a theme? Once u know yourself u can choose what is beauty to u and maximize it
- Jewelry making
- Beaded wall hangings
- Subscribe to magazine
- Invest yourself in your dream world like I did with equestrian
- Do your nails
- Roller blading
- Look at beautiful pictures online
- Download into an album that makes you so jealous and in awe of the beauty that is out there